Newsletter November 2020
Wow! What a year! I don’t even have the words to say about it except I wanna just throw my arms up and ask “what’s next!?” Now that holiday season is upon us, it’s time for the newsletter. I hope you enjoy it! Also today, 11-23-2020 Error Out Has Been in business for 6 years! Let’s hope for another 6!
We are going to talk about:
- Now that we are working from home
- It’s tune up time
- Keyboard shortcuts to help production (aka Work smarter not harder)
- What sales do we have and a great laptop for sale.
Working from home:
Since the “C” word has descended on this planet, more and more of us are working from home. That means a lot more time on your home computer, a lot more time! Here are a few quick tips to make your telecommuting safer and more productive.
- If you’re on a laptop, get a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse. A bigger screen will help reduce eye strain, and allow for a better view of what you are working on. The reason for a keyboard and mouse, because it is a lot more comfortable using a traditional mouse and keyboard then the one that is built in to your laptop.
- Your chair. Please not just use your kitchen table chair, it does not provide enough support for your back. If you are stuck using it, try getting a cushion for the seat, and maybe a roll of paper towels to support your lower back.
- Get a pair of headphones for your phone! Your neck and shoulders will thank you!
- Leave the food in the kitchen. To help allow enough space to use computer equipment properly, especially the keyboard and mouse, try keeping food in the kitchen. Having two distinct spaces will allow for focused time to work and enjoyable time to eat.
- Use as much natural light as you can. Sitting in a dark room with a bright screen is not the best for your eyes. Open the curtain, and let the sun shine in as long are there is not screen glare. But also remember the monitor needs to be the brightest thing in the room, well, except for yourself! 😊
- Water! Drink lots of it, living in Vegas we all know that, but it slips our mind time and again. Oh also on that thought, please make sure all OPEN bottles, cups, etc are further than arms distance so you don’t accidently spill on your computer!
- The 20/20/20 rule: For every 20 minutes spent looking at a computer screen, you should spend 20 seconds looking at something else 20 feet away. This gives your eye muscles a break and helps reduce eye strain.
These are just a few tips I found that will help you be as productive as you can while working from home. Here is a list of where I got some of this information:
While we are talking about working from home, if you are having connection issues to the internet, it may be time to upgrade your router, or get a powerline expansion kit to ensure that you are able to keep connection as strong as it can be. Give me a call and We will talk about what will best suit your needs!
Keyboard shortcuts that will increase productivity. In the past I’ve talked about mainly Windows shortcut keys, but instead I’m going to show you shortcuts in Microsoft Office, and beyond.
Here is a few that works with ALL office products:
CTRL + O Opens a file
CTRL + N Creates a NEW file
CTRL + S Saves
CTRL + W Closes the file
CTRL + A Selects ALL item in the document
CTRL + B / I / U Bold / Italic / Underline
CTRL + Z / Y Undo previous action / Redo previous action
CTRL + P Print dialog box
CTRL + ALT + I Switch to print preview
Some Outlook shortcuts
ESC Close a window or menu
ALT + H Go to the HOME tab
CTRL + SHIFT + M Create a new message
ALT + S Send a message
CTRL + E Search for an item
CTRL + R Reply to a message
Some Excel shortcuts
CTRL + 9 Hide selected ROWS
CTRL + 0 Hide selected COLUMNS
CTRL + 1 Open Format Cells dialog
CTRL + SHIFT + F Format fonts in Format Cells dialog
CTRL + SHIFT + : Enter current time (Colon)
CTRL + SHIFT + ; Enter current date (Semi-colon)
CTRL + ‘ Copy formula from the cell above cell to active cell
All office shortcuts can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/keyboard-shortcuts-in-office-e765366f-24fc-4054-870d-39b214f223fd
A tuned-up computer is a happy computer
When was the last time I visited your computer for a tune up? When was the last time YOU cleaned up the temp files? Or even taken it outside and blew out the dust? I’ll bet for 80% of us all it’s a lot more than 6 months ago. Well don’t you think a bit of TLC is in order? During the tune up I will ensure your hard drive is in good condition and health. If your hard drive starts to get errors that may lead to lost data! I’m sure you don’t want to lose pictures, documents and a like. Good news! I have a tune up discount! See below!
Now for the sales!
Since nearly everyone needs a tune up, I am going to be doing onsite tune up’s for $60.00 until the end of the year! A tune up is just that, a tune up. However, if you have small issues I will address them.
Also now until the end of the year, I am offering double bounty for referrals! Instead of $10.00 credit, I am offering $20 credit per referral and uses me for service!
Now for something completely different:
Funny / useful websites:
https://www.mapcrunch.com/ Go on an adventure without leaving your home — because you can’t! This site plops you down in a random location on the globe, and all that’s left to do is explore.
http://radio.garden/listen Take a trip ’round the world’s airwaves! Just pick a city — literally any city — and Radio Garden will play you whatever its local radio station is broadcasting.
https://myfridgefood.com/ At this point, your fridge probs has, like, three random items in it, and you’re starting to panic about meal options. Enter My Fridge Food, which inputs everything you have in your kitchen and outputs a recipe.
http://www.shutupandtakemymoney.com/ Take your online shopping obsession to the next level with this fun website filled with cool gadgets and gizmos! This is also perfect to start shopping for unique stocking stuffers and fun little gifts for the holidays.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html Discover the cosmos from the best of the best with NASA’s astronomy picture of the day!